Nothing says comfort food like skillet mac and cheese, especially during the colder months. This macaroni and cheese recipe is quick and easy to make. When served as a main dish, it contains 5 net carbs.
How to customize your mac and cheese
There are endless ways you can add to your mac and cheese to make it better! Try these ingredients in your mac and cheese to suit your family’s tastes:
Cooked and chopped bacon
hot sauce for some zing
pork rinds on top for a crispy layer at the end
- experiment with other cheeses for a new taste like brie or gouda.
Keto Skillet Mac and Cheese
- oven safe skillet (optional) or baking pan and frying pan
- pasta strainer
- pot for boiling water
- 2 cups JazzyLupini macaroni ( or shells or penne) equal to 1- 8oz package
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons almond flour or any gluten free flour
- 2 cups almond milk or substitute your milk of choice
- 4 oz cream cheese or neufchatel cheese
- 1 cup sharp cheddar
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, then add pasta; add a generous sprinkling of salt to the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, melt the butter in a skillet or pot large enough to hold the pasta when it’s done.
- Add the flour and stir over medium heat until the mixture is lightly toasted; 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk to remove any lumps and add the salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. About 6 minutes.
- Stir in the all of the cream cheese and 3/4 of the gruyere and cheddar. Whisk until smooth and melted. Turn off the heat.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and stir into the sauce. Sprinkle the last 1/4 of the gruyere and cheddar on top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until browned and bubbly.